Vegan & Raw Food News: Nanaimo
Why eat raw
May 9, 2016
Why eat raw? At Power House we get asked that all the time. And here’s what we say:
1. Nutritional perks.The cooking process can wipe out the nutritional value of many foods (with the exception of spinach and only a few others). In particular, Vitamin C and folate are destroyed by heat. Raw foods deliver far higher levels of vitamins, minerals, fiber and disease-fighting phytochemicals.
2. More energy.Raw foods have living enzymes still intact because they weren’t killed through the heating process. Those living enzymes help break down food so it can more quickly be absorbed and used by your cells, giving you an energy boost.
3. No allergens. Raw foods aren’t processed so they don’t have the additives that processed foods do: preservatives, nitrites, artificial sweeteners, and flavour enhancers like MSG … all common food allergens. Power House is also gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, and vegan.
4. Fight chronic disease. Research shows that living enzymes fight chronic disease. Diets rich in raw foods can help prevent disease, too. Raw whole foods – vegetables, fruits, seeds, etc. – are rich in fiber and enhance the elimination system helping you avoid constipation and bloating.
5. Detox + weight loss + diabetes prevention.Raw foods are low in calories, and high in nutrients, so they’re a great part of a nutritional plan to lose weight. The compounds in raw food break down toxins in your body. Keeping the weight off can help prevent or manage Type 2 Diabetes.